This course provides beginner computer users with the basics in the use of hardware and software components, file management, keyboarding, internet and email, and to apply the knowledge and skills learned to explore and navigate the website to practice and prepare for their driving test in a supported learning environment.
Please note: You may be charged a portion of the Compulsory Student Services Fee that supports our services available to students. For full information on the Compulsory Student Services Fee, visit fees and finance.
How to apply
To apply for one of our short courses, fill in a paper copy of our application form, available here, then either drop it in to your nearest campus or mail it to us at Enrolment Centre, Tamesa Institute of Canterbury, PO Box 540, Christchurch Mail Centre.
- Turn computer on and off correctly
- Use a mouse and keyboard to enter text
- Identify and describe main windows features
- Understand basic external hardware components of a personal computer
- Understand basic software components of a personal computer
- Create, save and print files
- File Management techniques: create, delete, move, copy folders, navigate folder structure
- Develop keboarding technqiues to key in alpha and numeric text, symbols and special characters using standard alphanumeric keyboard
- Identify and remedy technique errors
- Apply keyboarding techniques and ergonomic practices to avoid overuse injuries
- Create, send, receive and print emails
- Send and receive attachments via email
- Gain a basic understanding of the Internet
- Explore and navigate the http://drivingtests.co.nz website to practice and prepare for their driving test.