To enable Registered Nurses to further develop their knowledge in assessment and management of the surgical patient with complex health needs.
- examine common health alterations and the impact that they may have upon surgical care.
- apply knowledge of physiological theory in relation to common health alterations and patient responses to surgery.
- analyse the practice issues surrounding the individual with complex / co-existing health alteration in the surgical context.
- critically analyse the relationships between patient assessment, therapeutic intervention and evaluation in surgical nursing practice.
- critically reflect on factors that influence clinical decision making in nursing practice and collaborative intervention.
- evaluate the role of the nurse and the nursing process in clinical practice.