To enable Registered Nurses to further develop their knowledge in assessment and management of the person undergoing surgery.
- discuss the effects and implications of surgery on the individual
- explore and evaluate the practice, health and safety issues associated with caring for the patient undergoing surgery
- apply theoretical knowledge of surgical nursing to clinical practice
- critically analyse and evaluate the nursing process in surgical nursing
- critique research, evidence and notions of best practice in surgical nursing
- analyse the role of the nurse in preoperative, peri operative and postoperative care