To enable Registered Nurses to further develop their clinical and theoretical knowledge, and skills required for medical high dependency nursing practice.
- analyse the role and scope of nursing practice within health care provision for patients with/or at risk of critical illness.
- understand common health alterations and their influence upon patient dependency.
- analyse physiological responses to common health alterations to provide rationale for nursing actions.
- assess patients: determine, obtain, utilize and evaluate appropriate information in order to prioritise nursing and collaborative intervention.
- analyse and evaluate the use of monitoring equipment and procedures in clinical practice.
- apply knowledge of the effects that common pharmacological intervention and administration may have on the individual.
- discuss the impact of critical illness upon the individual and their family.