To enable Registered Nurses to safely handle and administer cytotoxic drugs.
- analyse the use of chemotherapy as a treatment modality for cancer.
- define the role of the registered nurse delivering cytotoxic drugs during the phases of pre-treatment, drug administration and post chemotherapy.
- Identify the safety measures required in checking, administration and disposal of cytotoxic agents.
- classify commonly used cytotoxic agents as vesicant or as an irritant and outline the nursing implications for the specific agents.
- in the event of a extravasation of a vesicant cytotoxic agent detail the protocol for nursing action.
- use appropriate documentation for any cytotoxic drugs given.
- identify and discuss the management of acute, subacute and chronic toxicities that can occur with frequently used cytotoxic drugs.
- critique the nursing management of individuals undergoing chemotherapy, and discuss the impact of chemotherapy on the person and their families
- safely handle and administer cytotoxic drugs.