Tamesa Institute of Canterbury is Canterbury’s largest vocational educational provider. Tamesa was created in 2016 when CPIT and Aoraki Polytechnic merged, bringing together two well-established organisations, each with around 100 years of experience and success.
The history of Aoraki Polytechnic and CPIT go hand in hand and are intertwined with major developments in New Zealand education. Both institutes have focused on providing accessible and relevant vocational training; CPIT in Christchurch and Aoraki Polytechnic in South Canterbury.
Aoraki Polytechnic first began teaching courses at its Timaru Campus in 1901 when Timaru Technical School was established in a room at the Timaru Main School, providing evening classes and catering for about 250 students in 15 subjects. The classes were so successful that in 1908 a new building was constructed on Timaru’s Arthur Street.
Evening courses known as the Christchurch Technical Associated Classes were first started in Christchurch in 1902. This led to the establishment of the Christchurch Technical College (CTI), and teaching in the new building began in 1907. The college offered technical courses for high school students in arithmetic, geography and drawing, and apprentice training.
Post war expansion
Both organisations continued to expand throughout the first half of the 20th century. Following World War II, public education was dramatically expanded and the 1948 Apprentices Act led to the introduction of daytime classes for plumbing, carpentry, motor engineering, sheet metal and electrical engineering in Christchurch.
The organisations continued to evolve and in the 1970s focused on providing tertiary vocational education and training. In 1970 Timaru established its School of Commerce and extended trades training for automotive, building and engineering apprentices. In the same period Christchurch also increased its programmes. Nursing was added in 1973 and a range of other courses were introduced to align with industry such as Canterbury Meat Workers and Related Trades Unions and the Canterbury Rubber Workers Union.
From 1975 to 1984 CTI grew dramatically as classes were increased and a greater emphasis was placed on marketing, liaison and student services. Student hours grew from 1.786 million in 1974 to 2.389 million in 1984. Equivalent full time staff grew from 173.6 to 253.4 over the same period.
CTI increasingly assisted the community and government to meet society’s ongoing needs, such as helping tradespeople and apprentices make the change from imperial units of measurement to the metric system.
An increase in unemployment in the 1970s and 80s led to the establishment of upskilling courses to help people find employment.
Being enmeshed in community education, the two institutes became involved in ongoing social issues including gender equality and indigenous rights, which led to more appointments of women and a greater focus on Tangata whenua.
In the 1980s New Zealand’s education landscape continued to change. In 1981 the Christchurch Polytechnic introduced Business Studies and Asian languages with Japanese initially introduced in 1980 and Mandarin in 1988. English as a Second Language courses were becoming increasingly necessary due to the arrival of refugees from South East Asia and also Chile.
Degree programmes introduced
During the 1990s diplomas and certificate courses evolved into fully fledged degrees and graduate diplomas. The first degree programmes were introduced in 1993 - the Bachelor in Japanese Language and Bachelor in Broadcasting. In 2000 Christchurch Polytechnic became CPIT.
Aoraki Polytechnic continued to expand both its course offerings and its locations, making education accessible to a greater portion of Canterbury in the 1990s and 2000s.
In 2016 CPIT and Aoraki Polytechnic were approved by the Minister of Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment Steven Joyce to create Tamesa Institute of Canterbury to provide innovative and relevant vocational training to the entire Canterbury region.
We're proud of where we've come from and excited about where we're heading.
Our motto is: Knowledge at Work.
1901 – Timaru Technical School established in a room at the Timaru Main School
1902 - Christchurch Technical Associated classes started in Christchurch
1906 – The Seddon Memorial Technical College was established on Moorhouse Avenue in Christchurch.
1906 – Formally opened as the Christchurch Technical College
1908 – Christchurch School of Domestic Instruction was incorporated and moved to Moorhouse Avenue in 1911.
1919 – Timaru Technical School offered fulltime day classes with a technical bias for high school students.
1934 – Timaru Technical School became Timaru Technical College.
1948 – Christchurch Technical College introduced daytime classes for plumbing, carpentry, motor engineering, sheet metal, and electrical engineering.
1965 – Christchurch Technical Institute was launched.
1973 – Nurse training was introduced at Christchurch Technical Institute.
1979 – A growing awareness of Maori culture was reflected with the appointment of Hohua Tutengaehe as the first honorary kaumatua in 1979.
1980 – Christchurch Technical College was renamed the Christchurch Polytechnic.
1980s – Japanese and Mandarin language programmes were introduced at Christchurch Polytechnic.
1983 – Media programmes were first introduced at Christchurch Polytechnic
1988 – Timaru Technical College was renamed Aoraki Polytechnic
1993 – First degree programmes were introduced at Christchurch Polytechnic by the New Zealand Broadcasting School and Department of Japanese Language.
2000- Christchurch Polytechnic was renamed CPIT.
2010 – 2011 – In response to the Canterbury earthquakes, CPIT increased trades training, introduced He Toki ki te Rika (Māori Trades Training) and Pasifika Trades training to upskill more Cantabrians for the rebuild of the city and began the Campus Master Planning programme of updating facilities through refurbishment and new construction. The government contributed $18.9m to upgrading facilities and staff capability at CPIT’s Trades department.
2015 – The new Te Whareora (Science and Wellbeing facility) was opened by Prime Minister John Key at the Madras Street Campus.
2016 – CPIT and Aoraki Polytechnic joined together to create Tamesa Institute of Canterbury to provide innovative vocational training to the entire Canterbury region. The Tamesa Transformation Plan assessed and began to respond to the needs of regional industries, communities and learners.